Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Twifts and Oldsters Unite for interview!

Recently, I had the distinct honor and pleasure of being asked for an interview by Amna/GeekPride from the TWFT blog and AW. It was a surreal and exciting moment to say, “I’m giving an interview!” One of those kinda moments that all “would be” writers dream of happening. The interview was for Amna’s own personal blog, but I thought it was such a cool idea that I asked her if we could borrow the questions and do a series on the OPWFT blog. She graciously agreed, so here is the first OPWFT WIP Interview…thanks again to AMNA/Geek Pride. Here’s a link to her blog: http://characterize.wordpress.com/

Q&A- The Amna Way…

Posted on August 20, 2009 by Amna
Hello!Hello!Hello!

*Cue theme song*

Welcome to another episode of Q&A- The Amna WAY!

*cue applause*

Okay, I know your dying to know who is my guest. And I’m excited to introduce someone I look up to!

Krista! (aka Juneluv12)

Thank you so much for agreeing to be on my show! I’m giddy with excitement. This is a great honour

Okay.. I’ll stop stalling..On to the interview!!

(1). For my readers, can you give me a quick summary of your current WIP

My current WIP is called The War Within. It’s about seventeen year old girl named, Mia, who is banished from home for the summer after being caught in a compromising position with her father’s research assistant. She’s sent to stay with her grandmother, Livia, even though she has only met her a few times in her life. There is bad blood between Livia and Mia’s father, so the relationship has been strained. The catch is Livia is living with Mia’s aunt who married a Mexican dignitary, so she’ll be staying in Guadalajara, Mexico for the summer. Thus, enters a hot, Latino named, Joaquin, to spice the story up a bit! Lol


So, there’s some great WWII scenes and secret revelations from Livia, and Mia also learns a lot about herself and her relationship with her father.

*Jaw drops to the ground* Wow. Just Wow.

2. If you could be any character in your WIP, who would you be and why?

That’s a hard one. I think there are little bits of me in all my characters! I feel I have some of Livia’s survival against all odds, definitely Mia’s snark and attitude, and Joaquin’s strong faith.

3. Do you have a writing schedule/ set yourself targets?

I wish I could say I had a more dedicated writing schedule. I basically write when the mood hits. I completed DHTP within a month, but that was during the summer when I had more time to write. I’d love to get disciplined and set myself a writing schedule…maybe that can be a resolution for me!

4. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

First, it would be the repercussions of racism and prejudice, both for Livia and for Joaquin’s family. To quote Auden, “We must love one another or die.” I’m really big on teaching tolerance and acceptance. Then, I would have to say the importance of family. Finally, it would be to love yourself and be honest with yourself and those you love.


5. What inspired you to write your current WIP?

About five years ago, I befriend a Holocaust survivor named, Livia Unger Greeson, through my best friend Victoria. She had met Mrs. Greeson during college, and they struck up a fast friendship. Mrs. Greeson came to speak at the school, and when she found out I was an aspiring writer, she asked me to start chronicling her story. Unfortunately, time wasn’t on our side. I was the middle of Graduate School and then she had a stroke. She passed away in January of 2008.Originally, I had the idea of an adult novel using some aspects of her life and fictionalizing. Then this summer, I had what I like to call a “drive by SNI”, and I realized how I could make this a YA. My friend Victoria, who introduced me to Mrs. Greeson, is married to a man from Guadalajara, and I love the Mexican culture. I found a way to interweave both loves into one story.

6. Do you dream about your characters, scenes or certain settings?

Normally, I do not. I have what I call “image impressions” where I’ll be cleaning house, driving down the road, or even in the shower, and an entire scene will come to me. But the other night, I had a dream about Mrs. Greeson. I was telling her about The War Within, and she was very excited. She was also thrilled I was setting it in Mexico for Victoria!

7. Do you believe you were destined to be a writer?

Depends on which day of the week you ask me, lol. Writing is in my blood. My cousin, David Bottoms, is regionally famous poet who was the Poet Laureate of Georgia for a period of time. My mom claimed I wrote my first story when I was four…it was more pictures than anything, but I have been writing all my life.


8. There are some pretty hot characters in many of OPWFT + TWFT novels, if you could choose one to be with. Who would you choose?

Hmm, this is a toughie. It would probably be a tossup between Fairy/Steph’s Mr. Golden in Submerge, and Merrick in Jamie’s Cant Me If You Can.

9. If you could choose one scene to live through in your book, what would it be and who would you be?

I would love to be romanced by a guy like Joaquin. He’s a man of faith and integrity in a world where so many guys aren’t. So, I’d love to be dancing with him at the Quinceneara scene under the twinkling lights….

10.If you could be any scene in any YA book: what scene, what book and which character?

Hmm, I’m probably gonna catch some heck for this, but I’d probably be Bella in the Honeymoon scene in Breaking Dawn….lol

11. Oddball Question: What’s the difference between a novel and a book?

Um, they’re the same thing….unless you’re talking non-fic

WHHOOOOO! Was that not a great interview?!

Yes it was bloody fantastic! Thank your Krista! You truly rock.

Original post published on Old People Writing for Teens. To view post and reader comments, please click here.

No comments: