Sunday, August 2, 2009

Out of the Mouth of Babes…er, Teens

I guess you could say Monday is D-Day for me. It’s the first day of school. Yes, we start incredibly early in Georgia, but alas, we march on. Monday will bring a fresh batch of faces into my classroom along with some old faces I’ve taught before. I’ll be teaching Freshman and Juniors this year. But my schedule and the fact I could run screaming from the computer in agony at the loss of my summer isn’t the point of this post. No, it’s to tell you about our upcoming series of interviews with real teens about reading.

So, here’s how it’s gonna go down. Tomorrow, my classes are going to take an anonymous survey about reading. Questions will range from why they like or don’t like to read, what trends they feel are overdone or what they’d like to see more of, and how they feel about the “it” books. I’ll be compiling the data, and then giving you guys insight to the teenage mind…eerie, isn’t it?

After the first survey, I’ll be doing a closer examination at specific teens, or I guess I should say, “stereotypes” of teens. I’ll be interviewing the “reluctant reader”, the “adolescent teen male reader”, and then of course, the “uber excited reader”!

So check back with us to see how this exciting series progresses. And of course, if you have any specific questions you’d like to address, please comment or email me at kra79@comcast.net. I’ll be happy to forward them on.

Original post published on Old People Writing for Teens by GotYA contributor Krista Ashe. To view original post and comments, please click here.

No comments: