Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Harry Potter Week Post #2: What's Your Favorite Potter Film Adaptation

This week on GotYA we're following Nathan Bransford's lead and doing a week full of Harry Potter themed posts. Today we're asking What is your favorite film adaptation of the books?

I have to say that I love all the HP movies and have them all on DVD. But, whenever I'm wanting a Harry Potter fix, I go for one specific one. And that's the Prisoner of Azkaban. I'm sure if you knew me, you'd probably be appalled/surprised that the Goblet of Fire isn't my favorite because of two words....Robert Pattinson, but alas, no, even RPtaz and the GoB can hold a candle to the mastery that is the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Why?

Because this movie is just chock full of goodies!

The first one being the hotness of Sirius Black....just kidding. But yeah, we get introduced the fabulous character of Sirius Black. We spend most of the movie/book fearing him and then loathing him when we discover he betrayed Lily and James. But oh what a redemption he has when we learn the truth! He turns into such a noble, caring person, and you long for him and Harry to finally have the relationship they should have always had. I also think it's cool how what happens with Sirius is a foreshadowing of Snape's transformation in Deathly Hallows. All is not what it seems with Sirius and Snape.






Speaking of Snape, I love the scene where he's protecting the kids-kudos to foreshadowing what his role has truly been throughout the series. I also love the scene where Neville imagines Snape in his grandmother's clothing!






The second reason would be Lupin....man, do I love me some Lupin. Calm, unassuming, faithful Lupin who oh snap, turns out to be a werewolf! EESH. Big reveal there. I also love the SNAP moment when you momentarily think that Lupin is a baddie because he's teamed up with Sirius. I love how he becomes a father figure to Harry as well....but man, did I hate it when he and Tonks died in Deathly Hallows. So, so SAD!


The third would be the introduction of the Dementor's. I'll be honest with you. These things scared the pants off me. There is something very frightening about creatures who feed off your emotions....the scene on the train where everything gets cold and then they feed off Harry....shudders...it's just epic. I also loved in Oprah's JK Rowling interview how she talked about the Dementors representing the depression she had experienced in her life.


Fourth, would be the ultimate Girl Power that is Hermoine in this film. Dude, is there anything better than when she punches Malfoy in the face? EPIC! I also love how she's using the time traveling device for studious purposes only....so very Hermoine. I love PoZ also because you can see the beginnings of Ron and Hermoine's romance. So very sweet!




Reason #5 is Buckbeak--poor, sad, misunderstood, but hero in the end, Buckbeak. As an animal lover, I really appreciated how I feel Rowling used Buckbeak to show an appreciation for animals and how mistreating them can lead to destruction.





So, I've given you my favorite, which one(s) is yours?

15 comments:

Unknown said...

For me, it's the Order of the Phoenix. I love that one...probably because we're finally getting into the nitty gritty battle scenes that we'll see in DH :)

Unknown said...

Prisoner of Azkaban is DEFINITELY my favorite. It changed the entire tone of the series, finally Hogwarts wasn't so white-washed, Hermione kicks major A... everything about it is perfection. It is the only movie I actually *MIGHT* prefer to the book. (Treason I know.)

Melanie said...

Funny enough, I swear to God, I just watched the second half of Azkaban last night! (I watched the first half the night before). Yes, it's also my favorite for all the reasons you mentioned. Such a great film. I love the whole scene when they go back in time to right the wrongs. It's such a clever, clever scene. And when Harry discovers how powerful his patronus is. OMG. I just love that movie! Order of Phoenix is almost a tie with Azkaban for me. I will probably watch 5 tonight (yes, I'm skipping Goblet as I didn't really care for that one all that much). Even though I HATE when Sirius dies. It totally depresses me.

Jamie Blair said...

This is tough. I do love Azkaban, but OoTP is a fav as well.

Rachael said...

For me, it's Half-Blood Prince. I'm not entirely sure why, except for maybe it's the movie where I started crushing on Movie Draco.

PoA is my second favorite book and I had such high hopes for the movie that it made it nearly impossible for it to be my favorite.

I think Deathly Hallows is going to take the title, though.

Maidenveil said...

I also really love the third movie adaptation, Prisoner of Azkaban. Aside from having Sirius Black in it, I love the feel of the movie and how Alfonso Cuaron showed the kids growing up and the emotions in the characters. Next love is Goblet of Fire. Funny and cool adaptation. It's the last movie before plunging into darker tones.

E. Arroyo said...

The first one was my fav. The world building and characters were awesome.

Annie McElfresh said...

PoA is my fav too! :D GREAT Post! :)

Katie Ashley said...

Maiden, I totally love GoB with it's dance scene and the romance aspect....plus how they brought all the kids in from the other schools. And yes, it does start getting darker.

Karla....I like the training scenes in OotP....and the kids of Hogwart's realizing their potential to kick butt and take names! And the headmistress chick....EESH!

Sarah, Melanie, Jamie, and Annie...woot for thinking alike!!!

Kristine Asselin said...

I have to agree-POA is my favorite movie adaptation. Love the hints of budding romance w/ Hermione and Ron. There are parts of Half Blood Prince that I like, but I think POA did the best job of getting the book right. Really looking forward to DH.

Debra D. said...

I feel like a huge loser bc I don't know which one is my favorite! All I do know for sure is that the first one left me a little unmoved, the second one was better, and then by the third one (PofA) I was LOVING the movie series. So all I can know for sure is that my fave is 3 or higher, lol!

Sooo excited for the next one...only a little over a week!!!!!!!!!!

Leah said...

Tough decision. It's a tie between Prisoner of Azkaban and Half Blood Prince.

@Deb--I might spontaneously explode before it comes out because I'm so excited. Requested it off work and am going with like 8-10 people. It's going to be AMAZING!!!

Theresa Milstein said...

5 is my favorite. The kitties on the plates get me every time. Dolores Umbridge is so perfectly horrible. And the scene at the end with Voldemort and Dumbledore is pretty impressive.

fire in the hooooole said...

harry potter is really an epic. i like the Azkaban, almost everyone likes it. harry thought and assured hermione that his father would save him and sirius during the dementors attack but he found out that it was him all along..nice nice nice post.

S.A. Denson said...

Where has this blog been all my life...seriously, so glad I found you!

Still love 1 the most because it so closely followed the book. *Sigh*

Grrrr! Why couldn't the Lighting Thief do the same? Soo missed the arch scene!