Friday, January 22, 2010

Kathleen wants to be in like Molly (cause she got the prom date)

Querying. I swear it’s like being back in high school. Prom is a month away and I still don’t have a date. When I finally screw up my courage and ask the guy who sits next to me in art class, he says he’s asked a girl who’s thinking about it—if she says no, maybe he’ll keep me in mind.

Maybe.

Forget getting on the field. I can’t even get on the bench with the rest of the backups.

Okay –it’s not that bad. I’ve had interest and nudges, winks and flirtatious smiles, but I’m still waiting for that elusive email or call. The one that says: I want to go with you. And, while I wait for that, I’ve increasingly been having flashbacks to the hell that was dating in high school.

Fortunately, there are ways to deal with the angst and I’ve jotted them down in a handy list format.

Support from my betas. I had wonderful comments from them and re-reading those cheers me up immensely. The fact that one of them has thought of rereading my little manuscript makes me all happy and teary.

Friends and family. They love me so I know they’ll put up with an occasional Bridget Jones’ angst. Heck, if it’s a choice between dating angst and agent angst, they’ll probably pick the agent.

Absolute Write. Because EVERYONE who has tried to get an agent has gone through this.

The gym. Endorphins. Enough said.

Pretty in Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful, and Romy and Michelle’s High School Reunion. All movies where the underdog comes out on top.

Falling in love with a new project.

So what about you? What picks you up when you’re in the query doldrums?

No comments: