Friday, June 4, 2010

Flashback Friday: Summertime Memories

'Create

Welcome to Week Eight of our fabulous segment Flashback Fridays where the old and new collide on everything from books to movies to first loves to favorite vacations.

This week we're flashingbacking to those fabulous first days of summer. The ones that held the sweet promise of *cues the Mel Gibson from Braveheart* FREEDOM!!!. You remember, those lazy days hanging out by the pool or lake, getting together with friends, staying up all night watching tv and movies and then sleeping until noon....oh wait, maybe we still do that except now we're staying up all night with our writing.

As a kid and teenager, I LIVED for summer. As a matured adult, I still LIVE for summer! Last Friday was my last "official" day with the kids, and then yesterday was my was first official day not having to work.

Wanna celebrate some summertime tunes? How about some Alice Cooper with School's Out for Summer



They used to play Who Let the Dog's Out? on the last day of school at one of the middle school's I taught at.




Or what about In the Summertime, a great oldie from Mungo Jerry? Whenever I hear it, I totally think of hot summer days, lemonade, swimming, and dancing around with friends.


And what would summer be without the Fresh Prince himself, Will Smith? Here's Summertime




When I was young, the New Kids on the Block were such a part of my summertime. Riding bikes with my cousin at my grandparents and taking our ginormous boomboxes outside and cranking the tunes while we rode around. And here they are singing about summertime!

And speaking of New Kids of the Block, how about LFO's Summertime Girls that makes allusions to New Kids! And how can you not love a song with the lyric, "Billy Shakespeare wrote a long of sonnets." Epic....lol

So, what are your favorite summertime memories?

4 comments:

Lisa_Gibson said...

Lemonade. Chasing down the ice cream man. Riding my bike all over the place. Late nights at the roller rink. Fireflys. Roasted marshmallows. The smell of honeysuckle.

Annie McElfresh said...

LFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE THEM!!!!

Katie Ashley said...

Lisa,

Great summertime memories!!! I can seriously smell the honeysuckle and tastle the gooey goodness of the marshmellow!!

And Annie, I love LFO's Every Other Time. Great beat and great song!!!

Debra Driza said...

Oh my gosh...I STILL love that Will Smith song!

Woodsmoke is a huge summertime thing for me, whether it's from camping or a beach bonfire. Also, the sweet smell of hamburgers or steak on the grill, and coconuty goodness of suntan lotion.