Monday, March 1, 2010

Got Tunes?

This interview with Libba Bray for Barnes & Nobel is one of my favorite YA author interviews. Not only is Libba Bray her ever-fabulous self, but the interview also touches on one of my favorite things: the novel playlist.

Whenever I have a new idea for a project, one of the first things I do is assemble a playlist. I can spend hours (and $40) putting together a collection of songs that perfectly suits the characters, plot, and scenes of whatever book I hope to be working on for the next few months.

Quirky ghost story? The Smiths and The Psychedelic Furs.

Shape-shifter angst? Garbage and Matthew Good.

Dystopian? Clint Mansell & Kronos Quartet.

I blog about my playlist and I check out the playlists of other authors. I tweet about songs and scenes. It’s like going to a mix-tape party (ummm… tapes were those things we had before iPods) and everyone’s invited.

How about you? Have you ever spent an entire weekend compiling the perfect WiP playlist? Do you have multiple playlists for the same WiP? Do you have one special, go-to song that always puts you in writing mode?

Original post published on Old People Writing for Teens by GotYA contributor Kathleen. To view the original post and reader comments, please click here.

No comments: