Sunday, November 29, 2009

Krista’s Back to School/Bear Facts Survey Part Deux

Yes, the hour is upon me and all of you out there who have school aged children or teens. It’s back to school after the wonderful Thanksgiving Break. Some systems give Wednesday through Friday off. I’m blessed to have had the entire glorious week off. But just as it always does, it went by like a wispy puff of smoke. Sigh. So here’s a few more Q & A from the students of my school or The Bear Facts Survey Part Deux!!

Question #1: How much does the cover of a book influence your decision to read?

“I don’t care about the cover. It’s more about the title that influences me.”

“Not that much. It makes me pick it up and read the back cover to see what the book is about.”

“It influences me a little. A flashy cover does attract, but it’s what it is about that matters.”

“It influences me a lot. I don’t pick it up to see if I like it unless it looks good.

Question #2 What point of view do you like to read the best?

“I like first person better. I like it because I enjoy reading the book from the character’s point of view. “

“I like third person mostly because I like an overview of the matter.”

“I mostly like third person because you get an outside outlook of what’s happening and different views of the plot/problem.

Question #3: Do you read books just because they are “hyped”?

“I read books that are interesting to me, not because of the hype.”

“Whenever I decide to read a book, my decision is more based on the first sentences. If it drives me to read more or if it is a downer.

“Most of the time I read books because I hear that they are good from other people

“I read books that are interesting to me, not because of the hype.”

“Whenever I decide to read a book, my decision is more based on the first sentences. If it drives me to read more or if it is a downer.


Question 4 and one that has stumped parents and educators for generations…Why do you not like to read?

“I can never find a book I can get into. I like books that start off good and there aren’t many books like that. I would be more motivated if I could get something out a book, like a life lesson.”

“I don’t like to read because you are just sitting there and reading. It would be more fun being active.”

“Reading makes me tired and I’d rather be doing something outside and it would be better if there were more outside books.”

I don’t like reading because it’s not usually something I think of when I’m bored, but when I get caught up in a book, I can’t put it down.”

“It’s boring because you have to sit there, and reading gives me a headache.

Original post published on Old People Writing for Teens by GotYA contributor Krista Ashe. Original post and reader comments can be viewed here.

No comments: